About Dominic M. Liddell
Dominic M. Liddell is a digital consultant, web development instructor, and public speaker based in Chicago. Dominic's social impact work has been featured in the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, and Chicago Crain's Business, and WGN among other national and local media outlets.
As a digital consultant, Dominic works with early-stage entrepreneurs and startups with a digital strategy to support them through formation, validation, and growth.
Dominic also has a passion for creating real change that results in equal opportunities to succeed in the tech industry for all. Dominic is committed to encouraging more blacks to launch careers and businesses in tech. When not working with clients, Dominic's leverages his skills and expertise to explore ways to progress these passions and commitment.
Dominic's previous work includes Dev Bootcamp, CDW, and New Home Star. Dominic primarily works as an independent consultant and is the founder of Tech While Black.
Skill and Expertise Profile
- Familiarity with writing performant, optimized code for large scale applications
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Proficiency with several server-side scripting languages, including Ruby and PHP
- Ability to optimize performance from code-level to SQL-level profiling
- Experience with test-driven development using RSpec and Capybara
- Experience with behavior-driven development using RSpec and Capybara
- Experience building features and tools for a consumer-facing site
- Familiarity with AWS as a platform along with its various services
- Familiarity with container-based infrastructure with Docker
- Experience with data visualization and analytics.
- Experience developing curriculum or serving as an instructor for software engineers
- Familiarity with adult learning theory and instructional strategies and methodology
- Comfort in developing in a terminal-heavy Linux/Mac environment
Speaking & Public Engagements
- Strengthening the Tech Community through Diversity Microsoft MVP & Community Mixer, February 27, 2017
- 2016 Dubuque Diversity Summit Dubuque Chamber of Commerce, Nov 3, 2016
- Making Tech Accessible to Everyone Capital One, June 21, 2016
- Making Diversity Happen: Putting Talk into Action Startup Institute, June 20, 2016
- Startup Panel 1871, April 9, 2016
- African American Unemployment and Underrepresentation in the Technology Field Chicago Urban League, January 15, 2016
Places my work has been featured
- 2017 Diversity in Tech Awards finalist Code/Interactive
- Chicago Tech 101: A comprehensive guide to Chicago's tech scene Andreas Rekdal, Built in Chicago
- Tech Incubators on a Mission of Diversity Tatiana Walk-Morris, New York Times
- Tech diversity with Dominic M. Liddell of Tech While Black Tylor Jeffords, Shots & Bytes
- 28 Days of the Web 2016 Cohort, 28 Days of the Web
- Outside the Loop Podcast #486 WGN Radio
- How To Promote Black Tech in Chicago? Collaboration Is Key, Leaders Say Tatiana Walk-Morris, DNA Chicago
- Boosting the ranks of blacks in tech Cheryl V. Jackson , Chicago Tribune
- Can the Midwest Surpass Silicon Valley by Capitalizing on Diversity? Leah Smiley, Society for Diversity
- Bunker Labs Startup Pitch Judge, Chicago, May 2016
- Mikva Challenge Leadership Cafe Mentor, Chicago, October 2015
- Startup Institute Volunteer Instructor, Chicago, August 2015
- Trans*H4ck Mentor, Chicago, March 2014
- Chicago Cares Serve-a-Thon Volunteer, Chicago, June 2011